If you are developing a marketing strategy for your company, what are the talents required? Is it the intense creative juices of the right brained creative thinker or the precise calculated processes of the left brained more mathematical type?
The obvious answer is that you would like to have both. When you hire a creative marketing firm, you are putting your trust in someone because you feel that they provide the “juice” that your company needs. There are a few reasons why you might ultimately hire a marketing company:
- You need a creative focused team that can provide a right brained look at your business (for branding, marketing campaign ideas, etc.)
- You need the bandwidth because your team can’t implement and still complete the rest of their jobs.
- You need some specialized service (social media, mobile apps, commercial production, etc.)
Maybe it’s all of the above. While there may be an emphasis on one over another for a specific project or ongoing need, I would argue that you need a balance of all of the above. That is the makeup of a good marketing team. Here are some tips to ensure that you are working with a team that has all of the above:
- They know they need to have a creative minded and a functional minded approach.
- They talk about measurement and achieving ROI
- They believe in hitting deadlines and backing up their work with results (that your business expreiences the benefit from).
- They have nice, stylish clothes but they are laundered too.
- They don’t just talk about “ideas” but also “why”
- Their staff includes people that know how to use Excel or Illustrator but not always both.
If you really want to get into this, I’d like to convince you that we are a great example of this sort of team. When we write a marketing strategy it talks about how you capture attention as well as how you capture data.